Anna Restaurant Pune: Exploring Authentic South Indian Food as a Foreigner Living in India
![]() |
| Ultimate Dosa Showdown! 💥 Which side are you on: team classic crispy masala or team healthy ragi? Drop your vote in the comments |
If you are searching for the best authentic South Indian food in Pune, Maharashtra, you have to look beyond the basic street food counters. As someone documenting my personal life experiences while living in India and exploring its rich culture and foods, discovering local culinary traditions is a huge part of my journey. With my wife being Indian, I have a fantastic guide into the country’s food heritage, and my goal is to explore the regional cuisine of every single Indian state. Right now, I am fully immersed in the incredible flavors of South India.
If you have been following my blog, you might remember my very first time trying South Indian street food, where I was introduced to classic dosas and idlis. Shortly after, I wanted to see what else the cuisine had to offer, which led to a massive South Indian banana leaf feast.
Building on those amazing experiences while living here in Pune, we decided to visit Anna—a highly recommended local restaurant holding a solid 3.5 to 4-star rating online. It provided the perfect casual, sit-down environment to try healthy millet batters, traditional leaf-steamed dishes, and authentic coastal recipes. Here is my review of Anna in Pune and our latest culinary discovery!
Stepping Into Anna: A Traditional South Indian Dining Experience in Pune
The moment you walk into Anna, the restaurant sets a welcoming, traditional tone that separates it from standard fast-food joints. Instead of regular plates, the metal trays at each table are lined with fresh, vibrant banana leaves. The dining space is filled with the comforting, rich aromas of tempered mustard seeds, fresh curry leaves, and warm clarified butter (ghee).
One of the most authentic parts of dining here is embracing the traditional Indian way of eating: using your hands. Rather than using cutlery, eating with your fingers connects you directly with the texture, warmth, and soul of the meal, making the entire dining experience feel so much more genuine and grounded.
As a foreigner documenting my food journey while living here, seeing the variety of traditional coastal dishes being carried out to surrounding tables made me eager to skip the familiar items and try something entirely new.
Healthy Indian Food: Trying Ragi Dosa (Finger Millet Dosa)
With millets trending globally for their health benefits, the first dish I ordered was a striking departure from the golden-white rice dosas I had tried previously. This was a Ragi Dosa, crafted from a nutrient-dense finger millet batter.
![]() |
|
Pure Culinary Art: The Giant Paper Masala Dosa
Next came a highly popular South Indian classic that never fails to impress with its presentation—the Paper Masala Dosa. When the waiter placed it on our table, its remarkable length stretched across nearly the entire space.
![]() |
| An extra-long rolled dosa filled with seasoned potatoes, served alongside coconut chutney and sambar. |
![]() |
| Golden-brown crispy dosa torn open to reveal the seasoned potato masala filling inside. |
Coastal Indian Traditions: Kotte Kadubu & Spiced Idlis
To complete our meal, we explored an authentic coastal specialty wrapped in natural greenery: Kotte Kadubu (also known as Moodode).
![]() |
| Enjoying a crispy, golden-brown triangular dosa with delicious chutneys and dip. |
![]() |
| Golden-brown crispy dosa torn open to reveal the seasoned potato masala filling inside. |
Unwrapping the leaves and breaking into the warm rice cake with your hands lets you appreciate the gentle herbal aroma infused right into the food. Steaming the rice batter inside natural woven leaves imparts a subtle flavor that modern metal cookware simply cannot replicate. Served alongside a soft, turmeric-seasoned idli and a bowl of warm, peppery tomato soup (rasam), it was a wonderful demonstration of how regional South Indian cooking utilizes natural materials and mindful eating habits.
Quick Guide: South Indian Dishes Featured in This Post
If you are living in Pune or just someone looking to learn more about South Indian cuisine, here is a quick overview of what we ordered at Anna:
- Ragi Dosa (Finger Millet Dosa): An earthy, crisp, and healthy crepe crafted from finger millet batter, garnished with sesame seeds and topped with fresh white butter.
- Paper Masala Dosa: A classic, extra-long golden crepe rolled paper-thin and filled with a spiced potato mash.
- Kotte Kadubu / Moodode: A traditional coastal rice cake steamed inside woven leaves to impart a subtle, herbal taste.
- Spiced Idli: A soft, fluffy steamed rice cake infused with turmeric and gentle spices, served with sambar and fresh chutneys.
![]() |
| Traditional South Indian meal featuring steamed idli, banana leaf parcel, sambar, and chutney |
Recommendations Needed: What Indian Food Should I Explore Next?
As I continue documenting my personal life experiences, living in India, and exploring regional food cultures across every single state— I would love to hear your recommendations!
If you are a local foodie, a South Indian native, or an expert in Indian cuisine, what dish or restaurant style should we try next? Should we hunt down Pesarattu, Neer Dosa, Appam with Coconut Stew, Malabar Parotta, or branch out into a different state's cuisine entirely?
Please share your top food suggestions in the comments below!
Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel to follow along as I document my daily life, culture, and food experiences in India. Also, if you missed our recent Pune market adventures, be sure to catch up here:
👉 Night Market Shopping & Festival Preparations in Pune
Leave your favorite Indian food recommendations in the comments below—I can't wait to read them! Ganpati Bappa Morya!







Josh wonderful...i miss translate:)) Good evening, by Andreja!
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon from here in India, Dear Andreja.. Thank you for stopping by 🫶
DeleteIndian cuisine is vibrant and unique! I have never tried traditional Indian dishes. I believe they are delicious!
ReplyDeleteDear Irina.. I hope you get some courage to try it someday 🩵 🫶
DeleteBonjour et bon début de semaine -Merci du coucou Kiss
ReplyDeleteThank you so much dear Sylvie , And have a great week as well 🫶
Delete
ReplyDeleteThe photos of the food are great. This is the first time I’ve seen it. I’m sure it tastes delicious.
Have a nice week.
The food looks really good. I would try it if given the chance.
ReplyDelete