Map of My Failures
![]() |
| Josh's first attempt at rolling a chapati on a wooden board, showcasing an uneven, unique flatbread shape |
Usually, our conversations on this blog revolve around mindset shifts, personal evolution, or the realities of moving across borders. But today, the battlefield was the kitchen counter, and my opponent was a humble pile of wheat flour.
I had a sudden, spontaneous urge: I wanted to try rolling and cooking chapatis from scratch for the very first time.
When people hear about relocations, they often picture the big milestones—the flights, the visas, or finding a new home. But true cultural integration often happens in the quiet, everyday moments at the dinner table. Living in Pune, Maharashtra, I am surrounded by rich culinary traditions, and trying my hand at an iconic Indian staple felt like a necessary rite of passage.
The "North Star" Goal: Why Flatbread Comes First
You might be wondering why an amateur cook would randomly decide to take on the delicate art of rolling dough. For me, it ties back to a long-term "North Star" goal: I want to master the art of making world-class, authentic pizza from scratch someday.
However, as any serious baker or chef will tell you, you have to respect the basics before you can conquer complex crusts. You must learn to feel the hydration of the dough, master the pressure of the rolling pin, and understand how heat transforms simple ingredients. Mastering a traditional flatbread like a chapati is the ultimate foundation for anyone aspiring to handle dough with confidence.
The "How Hard Can It Be?" Phase
I have only been living in Pune for a few months, but during this short time, I have been continuously surrounded by culinary greatness. Almost every single day, I watch my wife, my mother-in-law, and my sister-in-law handle dough with absolute, effortless mastery.
Watching the three of them work together in the kitchen is like watching a perfectly synchronized ballet:
They knead the dough to the exact right consistency without measuring a single gram.
They pinch off uniform portions with effortless precision.
They roll the dough while chatting, laughing, and barely even looking down at the board.
Without fail, they produce flawless, perfectly symmetrical, sun-shaped circles every single time. They make it look so simple that you start to believe the dough naturally wants to become round all on its own. It is a subtle, beautiful piece of daily tradition that I deeply admire about Indian household culture.
Watching them handle the rolling pin with such grace, a quiet thought entered my mind: "Josh, you’ve moved across international borders, adapted to new environments, and built a fresh life... surely you can channel a fraction of their talent and defeat a tiny ball of dough."
Spoiler alert: I am definitely not a member of the "Elite Circle Society" yet. The dough won the first round decisively.
A Geometry Lesson Gone Wrong
The exact second my rolling pin touched that first piece of dough, I realized I was severely lacking the family’s golden touch. My dough clearly did not receive the memo that a smooth circle was the primary objective.
While the women in my family create perfect globes, my rolling pin produced a detailed, topographical map of an undiscovered continent.
Every single time I tried to apply pressure to round out one jagged edge, three new sharp corners suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I wasn't just cooking dinner; I was accidentally performing an advanced geometry project gone completely wrong.
It turns out that the "effortless" technique they display requires years of muscle memory, controlled wrist movement, and delicate pressure management. My raw attempt resulted in a wavy, undulating coastline resembling a distant island archipelago. They make smooth circles; I make complex geography.


Comments
Post a Comment